Search This Blog

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Tabernacle Crush




Tabernacle Crush

It has been quite some time since I last added an entry to Kate’s blog.  However, tonight I have a little sense of urgency.  Why?  Because peaches are in season!  We got a case of peaches from the Georgia peach truck and have been eating peaches in many ways over the past week.  Kate made the most amazing grilled peaches with bleu cheese.  She is in the kitchen now making peach cobbler and peach avocado salsa.  She has a recipe for peach sangria for tomorrow.

And yes, for those of you who are always dying to ask, we do eat like this all the time.  Lucky guy, oui?

Today she found this recipe, Tabernacle Crush.  I have no idea as to the significance of the name.  It hardly matters.  As the bard said, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.  This is a very light and refreshing drink and ought to be prepared at the height of the peaches’ ripeness, hence my sense of urgency.

This drink is delicious; however I would add some modifications.  The instructions say to slice the peaches and muddle them with basil and lemon juice.  When I do this recipe the next time, (yes, there will be a next time), I will muddle the basil in a cocktail shaker with the simple syrup and lemon juice.  I will then remove the basil leaves.  I will probably peel the peaches the next time and puree them in a blender.  I did serve the drink in a tall glass with ice, as called for, but I found that the peach pulp, the skins and the basil floated to the top and made it somewhat difficult to drink.  It also left the liquid in the bottom of the glass, making the end of the drink somewhat watery.  The flavors are spot on, though.  I love the more savory flavors of the basil, gin and Lillet playing against the sweetness of the peach and simple syrup.

I offer you recipe below.  I have doubled the ingredients, because a drink is always better when shared with one you love!  However, I offer the instructions without my modifications and leave it up to you to decide how best to prepare it.  I present to you the Tabernacle Crush, courtesy of foodandwine.com. 

TABERNACLE CRUSH

1 large peach, sliced

12 small basil leaves, plus more for garnish

1 ounce fresh lemon juice

3 ounces gin (we used Starlight gin from our friends at Huber in Starlight, Indiana)

2 ounce Lillet (I think Aperol or Campari might also work)

1 ounce simple syrup

Ice

Club soda

No comments: